Friday, October 8, 2010

Time Flies!

Why is it that when I am waiting for something, it seems like time goes so slowly?? But, then at other times it seems like time flies? 
For the past couple of days, I have been thinking that time has been going way too quickly for my liking!
Two years (and a few days) ago, I was almost 35 weeks pregnant. I was testing my urine every morning, pricking my finger six times a day, and eating on a schedule. I had gestational diabetes. I was struggling to walk. Not because I had gained weight, and had a big round belly. I was barely showing! I waddled, and struggled to do so. It hurt so much!  I had symphysis pubis diastasis.   It was a pretty rough pregnancy. Although I loved knowing that I had a healthy baby growing inside me, I just wanted the pregnancy to be over. Of course, I didn't want it to be over until at least a few more weeks, but I wished time would pass more quickly! 
At about 6:00 Pm October 5th, I started to experience some pain. It didn't feel like labour pains. At least not how I remembered them to feel. Yet, it hurt too much to be gas. I had no idea what was wrong with me. I called the doctor. I was told that it was likely gas, constipation, or Braxton-Hicks contractions. He suggested I lay down and relax.  I was in so much pain, how was I supposed to relax? 
It was a beautiful evening so, I called a friend/neighbour and asked her to come over and have a coffee with me (decaf, of course). I figured we could sit outside, and chat, and take my mind off of it for awhile. I hoped that it would pass, (the pain! not gas!) if I wasn't focusing on it. It seemed to be working, as the pain didn't feel so bad anymore. But all of a sudden, I had a strong urge to pee. I asked my friend to help me up, as the symphysis pubis diastasis made it difficult to get up.  I told her I really needed to pee! She helped me up, and then I felt it, and burst into tears. I thought I peed my pants. I was so embarrassed. It wasn't until I got into the bathroom that I realized I had not peed my pants. It was way worse. My legs were covered in blood.
Rick was just getting home, and as he pulled into the driveway Karyn told him that I had just gone in to use the bathroom, and would be right out. Then she heard my daughter (10 yrs old at the time) scream! At that point, Karyn came in and asked what was wrong. My daughter told her that there was blood everywhere. Karyn grabbed a couple of towels and told me to wipe myself off, and ran outside and laid towels down on the seat of the car. My daughter was in hysterics and so was I! My daughter picked up the phone, and called another friend of mine (her friend's mom) and told her that something was wrong with mommy and the baby, and asked if  she could please come and sleep at her house because mommy has to go to the hospital. Within a matter of minutes, I had clean pants on, the seat of the car had been covered with towels, and arrangements had been made for my daughter, and I was on my way to the hospital. I was so scared. I thought I was losing my son. I couldn't bear the thought of losing him too. I had already lost his twin. 
I got to the hospital and was taken up to obstetrics for monitoring. I was not in labour. I wasn't really given an explanation, other than sometimes this happens. I would be monitored overnight, and so would my son. Turned out I stayed a few nights. 
On Wednesday October 8th, I had another ultrasound. I was taken back up to my room. A nurse came in to tell me that Dr. J said I am fine, so is the baby, and I am going home. I was shocked. What do you mean I am going home? I am 35 weeks pregnant and hemorrhaging! At that point I was told that Dr. J felt that I had been there long enough, they needed my bed for someone that was actually having a baby that day! 
 At this point, not only was I scared, but furious!  I FREAKED OUT! I started yelling at the nurse that if I needed to leave, then Dr. J better come to my room and explain why, as well as escort me out, and that he should probably bring security with him, as I wasn't going easily!  At this point a doctor that I had never even heard of before walked into my room and asked if there was a problem. Darn right there was! So, I told her how I felt. She introduced herself as the newest OB/GYN in the area, and asked if she could check me out. She asked me if I would feel more comfortable going home if I had an ultrasound right then to prove that the baby was okay. I told her I just had one done, and no that didn't help much. So, she said she was going to go get the report, talk to Dr. J and come right back. 
When she came back, I was crying. I explained to her that I was afraid that my baby was going to die. She told me that no one would die on her shift that day, and her shift started in less than an hour! She then informed me that I needed to call Rich and tell him that I was not going home (as Dr. J had called him behind my back to tell him to come and pick me up!), and that he needed to get there ASAP, and that there would be a nurse waiting for him at the front doors. I did as I was told, and then asked what was going on. She told me I was going to have my son. She was going to do a c section. I argued that I did not want a c section. She reminded me that no one was dying on her shift, and that my son needed out NOW.  The reason I had started bleeding was that my placenta was starting to detach from the wall of my uterus. The ultrasound I had revealed that the placenta was now nearly completely detached, and in the process of detaching, it caused a small tear in  my uterus. The placenta was leaking, and would not be useful much longer. I started to panic. She told me that if I let her do a c section NOW, we would both be okay, but that she could not guarantee that we would, if I did not sign for a c section. I started to feel real woozy. (I thought it was the stress. It wasn't. Well, maybe a little, but mainly it was the loss of blood.) Dr. J walked in and said that she was not doing a c section. It was against hospital policy to do a c section before 38 weeks, and that if she really thought I needed one that I would have to be transported to McMaster Children's Hospital (35 minutes away). She looked him in the face and said " She doesn't have 35 minutes, and neither does the baby, now get out of my way." He replied " You could lose your job!" She responded with " If I don't do this now, we could lose her, and her baby. And if that happens, you WILL lose your license!"  
 Anyway, I had a c section. My son was born within minutes of Dr. B figuring out what was going on.  When Dr. B pulled him out, he cried. So did she. She said, " Welcome to the world little man. Thanks for hanging on for us." She looked at me and said " I promised you I wouldn't let either one of you die on my shift. But, honestly, I was afraid, I may not be able to keep that promise, it came so close." 
My son was born at 2:27 PM. Although he was 5 weeks early, he was healthy, and able to breathe on his own. He only had to spend 8 days in the NICU, which was quite a bit less than the doctors expected!!  Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for my son. I am so thankful that Dr. B happened to be walking by when I freaked out. I am also thankful that she decided to go against policy and do my  c section, even though technically she wasn't even working yet.  Dr. B saved our lives that day! 
As for Dr. J,  feel free to assume that the J stands for JACKASS!

Hard to believe it has been 2 years. I still remember it like it was yesterday. Happy Birthday little guy!


  1. Wow, what a story. I am so glad everything turned out ok. Thank God for Dr B!

    I'm a new follower from Monday's Cornucopia Blog hop! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

  2. How scary it must have been. Thank God for Dr. B. Hope your son had a great birthday.

  3. Yes it was scary. I thank God for Br. B nearly every day.

    My son did enjoy his birthday. We had a good day. It was a little hard for me too though. I was so thankful to be celebrating his birthday, but at the same time, a bit sad that his twin is not here celebrating too. It is still hard at times, and even more so on his birthday, and holidays.


Please feel free to rave, rant, or ramble!