CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 20, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday

 I love reading the memes on blogs that I follow. I decided I am going to participate in another meme this week!

Book Beginnings on Friday is a meme hosted by  Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence. 

                          The Truth About Delilah Blue   by Tish Cohen

                                                                 



I have decided to post the first sentence of the prologue, as well as the first sentence of Chapter One.

"Prologue
June 6, 1996

The smell of asphalt and dandelions and the last days of school made the air tingle with summer promise: fireflies in applesauce jars, bare toes in the sand at Kew Beach, and leisurely decisions at the ice-cream truck about whether or not to chocolate dip."

I like the sentence , though I feel it is a bit on the long side.  I think it captures the innocence of childhood.

Chapter One
"September 4, 2008

The only thing that stood between Lila's naked body and twenty-seven art students was a stiff brown robe that reeked of every petrified model that had come before her."

I like it. It captured my attention, and made me read on.  I am the type of reader that needs my interest captured fairly quickly in order to want to continue.

So that was my book beginning! What was yours?  Feel free to leave a link to your Book Beginnings on Friday post or leave your book beginning in the comment section.



1 comment:

  1. Ugghhh, a pre-used robe! Yes, having the word 'naked' in the opening sentence sure is an attention grabber - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to rave, rant, or ramble!