CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 12, 2010

5 star read!



Summary (taken from goodreads.com)
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers. 

My summary and thoughts!
Hannah Baker has decided to end her life. There are 13 reasons why. Before doing so, she records a set of audiotapes. On these tapes she talks about various experiences, and people involved in them. These experiences are the reasons she has decided to end her life.
She has recorded these tapes for the individuals involved in these experiences to listen to. To let them know that they were "one of the reasons why". The morning of her final day, she mails them out. Once someone receives the tapes, they are to listen to all of them, and once done, send them on to the next person on the tapes. The individuals named are also told that there is a second copy of these tapes out there, and if they do not do as asked the second set will be released publicly.
The reader "listens" to these tapes with Clay, a fellow classmate and crush. we see his reaction.  I would have liked to see some of the reactions by other people on the tapes as well.
As someone that has lost a loved one to suicide, it was an emotional read, but a great read nonetheless.
I felt many different emotions over the course of this book. I felt sympathy for Hannah, and also for Clay. I was angry with some of the other characters from the tapes. And I was also a little upset with Hannah. It seemed like she just expected people to know how she felt, without ever getting close enough to anyone to share her feelings.
Even though I felt some sympathy for some of those that are forced to listen to the tapes,(mainly Clay and Tony), I also felt a little jealous. I kind of wished Ash had left something to help with all of the unanswered questions we were left with.
This is a great novel. I believe the author to be very talented, as it was all so realistic, and I truly felt like I knew her. I look forward to reading more from Jay Asher.
If you have not read this book, you really should! It is a great read!  If you can, listen to the audiobook. I  listened to the audiobook after reading the novel. I LOVED it just as much, maybe even a little bit more!


3 comments:

  1. Great review...I do believe I have heard of this book. My only critique would be not to rehash the summary on Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I thought of that too. But the goodreads summary was changes from the summary I read. I guess instead of just copying it I should have read it first....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're going to summarize, can you just leave the Goodreads summary out? Or just tell us what you thought of the book. Just a suggestion...

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to rave, rant, or ramble!