CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday!


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted at bermudaonion.wordpress.com Every Wednesday we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered while reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  Leave a link to your post in the comment section!   Don't forget to head over to bermudaonion.wordpress.com and leave your link there too!

I learned a few new words this week.  They are from


Before I post the words, I want to say that I loved the fact that I learned these new words, and didn't have to use a dictionary.  When the words were used, so was the meaning of it.

apostasise- to leave the faith
The sentence was " The worst sin was to apostasise: to leave the faith."

echolalia- an uncontrollable impulse to repeat things that are heard.   Although I didn't really need to, it was more for interest, I looked this one up and this is the definition
1. Psychiatry The immediate and involuntary repetition of words or phrases just spoken by others, often a symptom of autism or some types of schizophrenia  
2. An infant's repetition of the sounds made by others, a normal occurrence in childhood development.
The sentence was " I have a condition called echolalia. It's an uncontrollable impulse to repeat things that I hear."

What new words did you encounter this week?



4 comments:

  1. Those are both great words! I've heard echolalia but didn't know how to spell it. Thanks for participating today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - I have usually heard echolalia used to refer to hearing something over and over, like a song you can't get out of your head. Similar, but not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Hidden Wives too (good book, disturbing subject) and somehow I missed both of those words, I've heard of echolalia but it's not something I hear very often.

    P.S. As to your comment on my blog: the little character that appears next to your name is a part of my Wordpress theme. Sorry, you can't take him with you. lol

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to rave, rant, or ramble!