Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme, hosted at bermudaonion.wordpress.com. Every Wednesday we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered while reading. If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun! Leave a link to your post in the comment section! Don't forget to head over to bermudaonion.wordpress.com and leave your link there too!
This week's word comes from
The first word I encountered was vernacular. I think I may have heard it before, but I am not 100% sure.
- the native language or dialect of a country or place
- the common, everyday language of ordinary people in a particular locality
- the shoptalk or idiom of a profession or trade
The sentence was " Your vernacular is still colorful, I see."
The second word I encountered was brusque
1. markedly short and abrupt
2. blunt in manner or speech often to the point of ungracious harsh
This is how it was used "Characteristically you mean? Serious. All business. Watchful. A man of few words. Even a bit brusque at times."
What new words did you encounter this week? Leave a link in the comments. If you do not have a blog, feel free to leave your new words in the comment section!